Monday, August 15, 2011

2. Buying a Pregnancy Book


Dear Baby,

I bought a book about pregnancy and read the first chapter. I guess I should have started with a book about getting pregnant, but I was just so excited. I’ll go to the library and get one on that topic next week. This might sound weird to you, but I bought the pregnancy book at Borders, a bookstore that is currently going out of business. Will there be bookstores for you to go to when you are old enough to go? I hope so. I love bookstores. I love wandering the aisles and smelling that very distinct new book smell. I like seeing tables piled high with new fiction, shelves leaning with the weight of discount coffee table books, the kids section always a bit messy…

Anyway, I was at Borders surrounded by Sale signs and it was a little intimidating. There are a lot of books about babies, having them, raising them, feeding them, creating them…. How to pick the right one?

And that is when I learned a secret that I guess was only a secret to me. Mothers want to instinctively help other mothers. I stood there confused for perhaps ten seconds before a tiny flock of mothers appeared and started giving me advice. After I picked out the book I wanted, and after I found Daddy in the Sci Fi section, we stood in line. One of the mothers from the Baby section was in line behind us and when our eyes met she smiled at me, a small, “we’re in this together” sort of smile.

I sort of wish I could have spent more money on books while we were there… There are so many I want you to have!

You, little baby, are going to have a lot of books if I have anything to say about it. And we will be frequent visitors to the library. I can’t wait to read to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment